Visual impairment : General Health care Solution

Approximately 2,50,000 to 500,000 malnourished children in the developing world go blind each year from a deficiency of vitamin A makes the cornea dry, damaging it, and the retina. One of the first signs of vitamin A deficiency is night blindness. Before you pop vitamin A pills, consult your doctor.

Too much vitamin A can harm.
Consume rich in vitamin A, like meat and dairy products like fish, butter, cream, cheese, fruits and vegetables such as papaya, mangoes, spinach, sweet potatoes.

Vitamin A is a fat soluble substance that is divided into retinol and pro-vitamin A. retinol is the active form of vitamin A usually found in animal products, while pro-vitamin A is found in vegetables and fruits.
You need to eat three times as much pro-vitamin A by the way of fruits and vegetables to get the same amount of retinol acquired in the consumption of animal products.

When you meet a blind person:

1. Don’t assume they need help. Ask.
2. Speak in a natural tone. It is not necessary to speak loudly or to over enunciate. Shouting does not improve a person’s vision.
3. Address him/ her personally, not through someone else. Loss of sight is not loss of intellect.
4. If offering assistance, never hold them by the arm. Place their arm on your shoulder, so that they can follow slightly behind and anticipate changes.
5. Indicate the end of a conversation when you leave so that she or he is not left talking to the air.
6. Do not leave them standing in free space when you are serving as a guide. It can be unnerving.
7. Be sure to give useful guidance and directions. Phrases like across the road and turn left at the next corner are more helpful than vague description like over there.
8. Greet the person when you/ they enter the room so that she or he knows that you are present.

Types of visual impairment:

20 per cent of those legally blind are born with total blindness ( cause mostly unknown ). The remaining 80 per cent become blind as a result of :

Cataract:

A cataract forms when some of the protein in the lens of the persons eye clumps together, blocking some light from reaching the retina.

Glaucoma:

It is actually a group of diseases that cause damage to the optic nerve. As the optic nerve deteriorates, peripheral vision is gradually lost.

Retinal detachment:

A detachment occurs anywhere in the field of vision where the retina may be weakened, and pulled away from its normal position. Weakness in the retina may be a result of: injury, surgery, glaucoma, family history, etc.

Diabetic retinopathy:

Complications from diabetes cause blurred, patchy vision in areas that are damaged due to changes in the small blood vessels that nourish the eye.

Macular degeneration:

This is the result of deterioration of the macula, a portion of the retina responsible for clear sharp vision.

Retinitis pigmentosa:

Tunnel vision is commonly associated with the retinitis pigmentosa, a progressive eye disease in which ones peripheral vision is lost.

Nystagmus:

This condition is characterised by an involuntary movement of the eyes, which may reduce vision or be associated with other, more serious condition that vision, like achromatopsia.

Paul Zand is a Medical Student and a freelancer who is specialized in writing. He is associate with many Pharmacies for whom he writes articles based on generic drugs and general health related issues.
For more : http://www.realviagrarx.net/

No related articles found.


January 27, 2012 | Author: | Posted in Health and Fitness

Author:

Paul zand is a Medical researcher and Consultant for Realviagrarx Pharmacy. His past experience and education enabled him to contribute his knowledge for development of generic drugs like Kamagra, Kamagra oral jelly and more. For more info visit: http://www.realviagrarx.net/

This author has published 9 articles so far.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.